Sounds a bit weird doesn’t it? Vinegar. In a cake?! But before you discount this as total madness, let me tell you that this recipe really works and is really delicious.It’s a traditional fruit cake recipe but made entirely without eggs so was perfect during wartime because of the rationing of eggs.It has a lovely crumbly texture and goes perfectly with a cup of tea!
- 170g self-raising flour
- 85g margarine
- 85g sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 140ml milk
- 100g dried mixed fruit
- Cream the margarine and sugar together until soft and pale
- Sift the flour
- Pour milk into a basin and add the vinegar and bicarb of soda. The mixture will froth a bit at this point.
- Add this mixture together with the sifted flour a small amount at a time into the sugar/margarine mixture until and combine.
- Add the dried fruit
- Pour into a greased and floured 1lb loaf tin and cook for 45 minutes at 180C until golden brown all over.