Focus Magazines The local magazines for Abergavenny, Crickhowell, Brecon & Talgarth – Events, News and Advertising
The Welsh government recently announced that compulsory microchipping of dogs will come into force by March 2015.  The move in my view is really positive for dog welfare, especially because at its very simplest application it allows us to reunite lost pets so quickly with their owners.

chipJune as you should now be aware is ‘National Microchipping Month’ and so all the branches of Abbey Vets are promoting the use of all Microchips including the New MiniChip ™ (subject to availability) at the special price of £15 (normally £20).  Minichips ™are an even less invasive and kinder choice for smaller dogs, cats and kittens and even give to the pink ribbon foundation charity – the tag line being, Recover a Pet, Uncover a Cure!

One concern people have is that inserting the chip into the scruff of their pet may hurt or may stop working.  For this reason we make sure we use the very latest in chip technology, chips sized to suit your pet , the latest in anti-migration coating and registration with a 24/7/375 database to help with emergency situations.

The process of microchipping has been constantly improved over the last decade to the point where over 60% dogs are now chipped and so identifiable accurately and reliably.   The upcoming legislation will obviously mean over the next year there will be an increasing demand to ensure the remaining 40% are chipped and therefore, legal!

If your pet is already chipped, you are unsure if the chip works or you would like them chipped – contact us and we shall check or chip your pets as required.

Ben Hynes is a veterinary surgeon at Abbey Vets, Abergavenny

Article by Ben Hynes

Please support our local businesses

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.