Regular readers of the Abergavenny Focus will know that each month we publish a very short story – sometimes called flash fiction – by a member of the Abergavenny writing group The Word Counts. Now YOU have a chance to get YOUR flash fiction published in the Focus by submitting a story to our free-to-enter competition.
The competition will be judged by Hannah Hill, editor of The Abergavenny Focus, Emma Corfield-Walters, proprietor of Crickhowell bookshop Book-ish, and the members of The Word Counts. The winners and runners-up will be invited to read their stories at a local event for National Flash Fiction Day in May (full details in our next issue) and the stories will be printed in the June issues, not only of The Abergavenny Focus, but also The Monnow Voice, The Ross Voice and The Chepstow Voice. This means that your story will be delivered to and read by 22,000 households! Winning stories will also be published on the Abergavenny Focus website.
There will be three age categories – under-12s, 12 to 18s and over-18s. There are just a few simple rules, but please read them carefully:
- You can write on any subject, but please nothing offensive or discriminatory – you are writing for a family audience.
- All entries must be written in English.
- Maximum length is 250 words (not including the title). This means 251 is too long, but nothing is too short.
- Only submit original work to which you hold the copyright. All rights revert to you after publication.
- Nothing previously published please, either in print or online.
- Submit your story on-line using the form below or send it to Focus Magazines, Ebbw Farm Bungalow, Ross Road, Llantilio Pertholey, Abergavenny, NP7 8NH Please make sure you include an e-mail address or phone number at which we can contact you.
- Closing date: 13th April 2012
- Winners will be contacted by 14th May 2012.
So, what are we looking for? A cracking good story, with a beginning, a middle and an end – something we’ll remember after we’ve read all the others. Good Luck and Happy writing!
Error: Contact form not found.