Did you know that there are more than 1.66 million farmers and workers in Fairtrade certified producer organisations? Or that there are 1,411 Fairtrade certified producer organisations in 73 countries!
Last year marked 25 years since Fairtrade certified products first became available to buy in the UK. In 2008 Wales made history and became the world’s first Fairtrade nation.
Abergavenny Fairtrade Forum was established in February 2006 to work towards gaining Fairtrade Town status for Abergavenny, which they achieved in 2007. The Forum is made up of people from the local community and representatives from Oxfam, churches and the County Council. The Forum promotes Fairtrade and the sale and use of Fairtrade products by local businesses and organisations. These include schools, churches, shops, places to stay, toddler and play groups and workplaces.
Every February/March the Fairtrade Foundation organises Fairtrade fortnight to help raise awareness of the issues and encourage more local people to buy and use Fairtrade products.
Last year the Forum held various successful events to celebrate this occasion.
The Oxfam shop in Frogmore St had a tasting of Fairtrade food, while Trinity Hall in Baker St held a ‘Little Tots’ event for young children.
Two very popular events are the Pancake lunch at the Methodist hall in Church St. and the Coffee morning in Christchurch, North St.
Finally, there is the Fairtrade Fortnight Finale at the Methodist hall in Church St. which last year was opened by Councillor Teslin Davies, then Mayor of Abergavenny and featured talks from Nick Ramsay, AM for Monmouthshire, Martha Holman from Love Zimbabwe and Aileen Burmeister, head of Fairtrade Wales.
- This year Fairtrade Fortnight runs from Monday 24th. February to Sunday 8th. March.
- There are plenty of events for you to enjoy in Abergavenny – listed below.
- Sun 16th Feb- Sun 8th March Window Display Red Square, High Street
- Sat 22nd Feb 8.30 to 10.30 Fairtrade Breakfast Venue to be confirmed
- Tues 25th Feb 10am -12 noon Coffee morning Methodist Church Hall, Castle Street
- 12.30-2pm SHROVE TUESDAY Pancake Lunch & FT Stall Methodist Church Hall
- Sat 29th Feb 10.30am -12 noon Coffee Morning and information stand, Abergavenny Library
- Mon 2nd March 7.00-9pm Fairtrade Brooch making workshop- booking essential (Abergavenny.firstname.lastname@example.org) or on our Facebook page FREE The Wool Croft, Nevill St
- Thur 5th March 10.30am -12 noon Fairtrade Coffee Morning Christchurch, North Street
- Sat 7th March 10.00am-5pm Fairtrade Finale Event Methodist Church Hall
- Oxfam, Frogmore Street will have a display during Fairtrade Fortnight as well as reductions on Fairtrade products.
- Waitrose, Abergavenny will have a display on key dates during Fairtrade Fortnight and will be providing Fairtrade samples.
All events are in Abergavenny.For more information please go to the Forum website –monmouthshirefairtrade.org.uk/abergavenny/